Lara Zakaria RPh MS CNS CDN IFMCP
Phone: (203) 304-9502
Lara Zakaria PharmD MSc CNS CDN IFMCP is a Nutritionist and Pharmacist specializing in Functional Medicine. Lara received a Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy at Rutgers University, Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, Master of Science in Nutrition at the University of Bridgeport, and Doctor of Pharmacy Degree from the University of Colorado, Skaggs School of Pharmacy. She holds a certificate in Medical Herbalism from Maryland University for Integrative Health, a Certification in Medication Therapy Management from the American Pharmaceutical Association (APhA), and is an Institute for Functional Medicine Certified Practitioner (IFMCP).
Lara Focuses on evidence-based interventions and positive psychology to empower patients to achieve health goals through an approach that combines whole food, herbs, and lifestyle modification. Her background gives her a unique perspective in identifying drug-drug and drug-herb interactions in addition to addressing drug-nutrient depletions.
No stranger to busy schedules herself, Lara supports her patients with practical and delicious dietary resources that allow them to thrive within the demands of their unique lifestyles. She’s experienced in working with complex cases, layering in customized therapeutic dietary plans to address chronic conditions including autoimmune disease, digestive health, and metabolic disease. Lara is also trained in Dale Bredesen’s RECODE™ Protocol for reversing and preventing cognitive decline.
When she’s not talking about food and healthcare, she’s got her nose in a good book, or is on a yoga mat, at a dance class, out for a hike, or on the mountain snowboarding
List of Achievements:
- Dr KF Education Programs Coordinator & Nutrition Team Manager
- Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner (Institute for Functional Medicine IFMCP)
- Certified Nutrition Specialist, CNS (BCNS)
- Approved supervisor for CNS candidates seeking experience hours
- State Certified Nutritionist in Connecticut and Certified Dietician Nutritionist in New York (CDN)
- Certificate in Medical Herbalism from Maryland University of Integrative Health (MUIH)
- Certified Health Coach (CHC) and Lifestyle Educator (LE)
- Adjunct professor University of Bridgeport, Nutrition Institute in Nutritional Biochemistry and Therapeutics. Bridgeport, CT
- Guest instructor at the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) School of Pharmacy, Functional Pharmacy. Bradenton, FL
- Co-Auther “A functional approach to the chronic disease epidemic” in the American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy.
- Hartzler ML, Castle L, Lewis C, Zakaria L. A functional approach to the chronic disease epidemic. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2020;77(8):668-672. doi:10.1093/ajhp/zxaa032
- Co-author with D Kara Fitzgerald on the Institute for Functional Medicine’s blog “Managing SIBO through Dietary Interventions”
- Content contributor at DrKaraFitzgerald.com
- Co-author on MindBodyGreen.com “The Weird Hack That Gets More Vitamin D Out Of Your Food, Naturally”
- Contributor to Methylation Diet and Lifestyle eBook authored by Dr. Kara Fitzgerald and Romilly Hodges.
- Research assistant at Columbia University Medical Center, The Irving Institute of Translational Research. Contributor to “Barriers to Dietary Adherence in Chronic Kidney Disease” American Society of Nephrology annual meeting, 2016
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy (Earnest Mario School of Pharmacy, Rutgers University)
- Doctor of Pharmacy (Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science, University of Colorado)
- Master of Science in Functional Nutrition (University of Bridgeport, CT)
- Candidate Masters of Public Health (Milken Institute for Public Health, George Washington University)
- Registered Pharmacist RPh NJ and NY