Feeling under the weather this time of year? Feed your defense system with fortifying, immune-boosting, and anti-microbial foods. Wild Mushroom and Root Vegetable Soup is a perfect way to banish those pesky winter bugs, since it contains wonderful immune-boosting wild mushrooms, anti-microbial ginger, anti-inflammatory turmeric, and detoxifying onions, garlic and parsley. All those lovely, colorful root veggies will nourish both body and soul too.
Top tip for methylation support: research shows that shiitake mushrooms may prevent hyperhomocysteinemia (elevated homocysteine)!
To learn more about how to eat and live your way to methylation health, click here for articles and our eBook, which contains over 40 exclusive recipes, free of gluten and dairy as well as dietary plans and lifestyle interventions.
|Wild Mushroom& Root Vegetable Soup|
- 2 Tbsp Coconut or olive oil
- 1 Medium onion Thinly sliced
- 25 Shiitake mushrooms (or other wild) Stemmed and thinly sliced
- 5 Baby portobello mushrooms Stemmed and thinly sliced
- 2 Cloves garlic Minced
- 4 Cups Bone stock Such as chicken, beef, turkey
- 2 Cups Root veggies (Such as beets, carrot, rutabaga, celeriac) Peeled and 1/4 inch cubed
- 1/2 Inch Ginger Peeled and minced
- 1/2 Tsp turmeric
- 1/8 Tsp cayenne pepper
- To taste Salt and pepper
- 3 Leaves Swiss chard Roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp Fresh parsely Finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the onions and cook until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and gently sauté until softened (about 5-7 minutes).
- Add the stock, root vegetables, ginger, turmeric, cayenne, salt and pepper and bring to a boil; cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the Swiss chard and let wilt 1-2 minutes. Ladle into bowls and garnish with the parsley.
- *Ideally, make your own bone stock by simmering bones (6-48 hours for chicken, or 12-72 hours for beef).
This recipe will surely be healthy for anyone who will eat it. The mushroom and vegetables are perfect combination! They will surely compliment each other.