The Sandy Hook Clinic (SHC) is located in the Sandy Hook Village section of Newtown, Connecticut in Fairfield County, Connecticut. The clinic is housed on the fourth floor of a rehabilitated old brick mill building, overlooking the Pootatuck River. Visitors find the clinic setting to be beautiful, centering and relaxing. Indeed, perched up above the river nestled in the Rocky Glen State Park, it feels a bit like being in a tree house.
We would love to have you visit, and below you’ll find directions and accommodations. However, if you are unable to make it to the clinic, we offer telemedicine-education (“telemed/ed”) as an alternative.
Vision and Mission
The widespread adoption of a healthcare model that reverses the global epidemic of chronic disease and supports the development of vibrant longevity.
- To shape and mobilize the next generation of Functional Medicine for both patients and practitioners through innovation, education, inspiration, collaboration and empowerment
- The patient must be at the center of any health care approach
- Healthcare requires a collaborative care team, with the patient and his support group at the center
- We need the best of allopathic, integrative and systems approaches to optimize patient health
- Understanding and addressing root causes can prevent or reverse chronic disease
- Dietary and lifestyle factors are major determinants of health
- Human ecology—including social, built and natural environments—is an integral part of creating lasting human health
- The health of future generations will be determined by how we act today
Making an Appointment
Coming to Sandy Hook is a great option if you can do so, at least for your preliminary visit, and annually thereafter. Unlike Telemed/Ed, we can diagnose and directly treat you. You can also submit all costs to insurance for reimbursement. You may be able to tax deduct what isn’t covered by insurance.
Telemed/Ed may be a good option for you if you are unable to come to Connecticut. Although we cannot diagnose or treat you unless you come to the Clinic in person, we can complete a highly detailed investigation, including a history with laboratory analysis. From this body of information, we will create a comprehensive plan of treatment suggestions for you to discuss with your local clinician. If you choose to do so, you may continue to follow-up with us. Telemed/Ed is great option for some individuals unable or unwilling to travel. Skype tele-video conferencing is available and recommended.
Nutrition is the most powerful tool integrative doctors have at their disposal. I would argue that the appropriate dietary program can account for up to 80% of an individual’s success. Thus, for most of us, getting our diet properly “dialed in,” maybe more effective than any other single intervention! Nutrition consultations are great support, and very reasonably priced. Learn about nutrition phone consults HERE. Skype tele-video conferencing available and recommended
What is Functional Medicine?
Functional medicine is an evolution in the practice of medicine that better addresses the healthcare needs of the 21st century. By shifting the traditional disease-centered focus of medical practice to a more patient-centered approach, functional medicine addresses the whole person, not just an isolated set of symptoms. Functional medicine practitioners spend time with their patients, listening to their histories and evaluating the interactions among genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors that can influence long-term health and complex, chronic disease. In this way, functional medicine supports the unique expression of health and vitality for each individual.