The widespread adoption of a healthcare model that reverses the global epidemic of chronic disease and supports the development of vibrant longevity.
- To shape and mobilize the next generation of Functional Medicine for both patients and practitioners through innovation, education, inspiration, collaboration and empowerment
- The patient must be at the center of any health care approach
- Healthcare requires a collaborative care team, with the patient and his support group at the center
- We need the best of allopathic, integrative and systems approaches to optimize patient health
- Understanding and addressing root causes can prevent or reverse chronic disease
- Dietary and lifestyle factors are major determinants of health
- Human ecology—including social, built and natural environments—is an integral part of creating lasting human health
- The health of future generations will be determined by how we act today
What is Functional Medicine?
Functional medicine is an evolution in the practice of medicine that better addresses the healthcare needs of the 21st century. By shifting the traditional disease-centered focus of medical practice to a more patient-centered approach, functional medicine addresses the whole person, not just an isolated set of symptoms. Functional medicine practitioners spend time with their patients, listening to their histories and evaluating the interactions among genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors that can influence long-term health and complex, chronic disease. In this way, functional medicine supports the unique expression of health and vitality for each individual.