Kara Fitzgerald, ND IFMCP
Physician, Clinic Director
Dr. Fitzgerald is actively engaged in clinical research on epigenetics and longevity using a diet and lifestyle intervention developed in her research and practice. Her first clinical study, which found potential bioage-reversing effects of an 8-week DNA methylation-supportive diet and lifestyle in middle-aged men, was published April 12, 2021 in the journal Aging. Now, her latest study, published March 22, 2023 also in the same journal, suggests that similar results are possible in middle-aged women.
With the Helfgott Research Institute, Dr. Fitzgerald is actively engaged in clinical research and peer-reviewed publication on the DNA methylome using targeted diet and lifestyle practices. She has published a consumer book titled Younger You as well as a companion cookbook, Better Broths and Healing Tonics and offers Younger You Programs, based on the study.
Kara Fitzgerald, ND, received her doctor of naturopathic medicine degree from the National University of Natural Medicine in Portland, Oregon. She completed the first Counsel on Naturopathic Medicine-accredited post-doctorate position in nutritional biochemistry and laboratory science at Metametrix Clinical Laboratory under the direction of Richard Lord, PhD. Her residency was completed at Progressive Medical Center, a large, integrative medical practice in Atlanta, Georgia.
Dr. Fitzgerald is the lead author and editor of Case Studies in Integrative and Functional Medicine and is a contributing author to Laboratory Evaluations for Integrative and Functional Medicine and the Institute for Functional Medicine (IFM)’s Textbook for Functional Medicine.
Dr. Fitzgerald is on the faculty at IFM, is an IFM Certified Practitioner, and lectures globally on functional medicine, longevity, and epigenetics to practitioners and consumers. She maintains an award-nominated podcast series, New Frontiers in Functional Medicine and an active blog on her website, www.drkarafitzgerald.com. Her clinical practice is in Sandy Hook, Connecticut.
- Doctorate of naturopathic medicine from National College of Natural Medicine in Portland, Oregon
- Post-doctorate position in nutritional biochemistry and laboratory science at Metametrix
- Residency was completed at Progressive Medical Center
- Lead author and editor of Case Studies in Integrative and Functional Medicine
- Contributing author for IFM’s Textbook of Functional Medicine
- Contributing author for Laboratory Evaluations for Integrative and Functional Medicine
- Contributing author for Oxford University Press Integrative Gastroenterology, 2nd edition
- Co-researcher, in collaboration with the Helfgott Institute at NUNM, Methylation Diet & Lifestyle Study now published in the journal Aging.
- Author of Younger You: Reduce Your Bio Age and Live Longer, Better For more information about the book and program, click here.
- Co-author of Better Broths and Healing Tonics. a Younger You companion cookbook.
- Faculty member at Institute for Functional Medicine
- Institute for Functional Medicine Certified Practitioner (IFMCP)
- Approved supervisor for Certified Nutrition Specialist candidates seeking experience hours
- Licensed in Connecticut
- First-ever recipient of the Emerging Leadership award from the Personalized Lifestyle Medicine Institute in recognition for her work on DNA methylation.
- Winner of the Rosalind Franklin Society Special Award in Science for her work and publication on targeting functional longevity and epigenetics through diet and lifestyle.