This recipe was contributed by Nutrition Resident Maddy Delery, MS @maddeats__
Did you know that coffee is a DNA methylation adaptogen? Thanks to two amazing polyphenols, caffeic acid and chlorogenic acid, coffee has been solidly associated with longevity.
If you are looking to upgrade your morning java or simply not a fan of plain black coffee, this recipe might be just the solution you’re looking for.
Instead of just adding honey or syrup and almond milk, transform your cup of coffee into a power drink that not only gives you energy and nutrients but also prevents a blood sugar rollercoaster by adding these epinutrient-rich foods:
- Raw almonds are a great source of fiber, as well as protein, vitamin E, and riboflavin. Riboflavin, along with niacin, is essential for both the methylation and folate cycles.
- Cinnamon is packed with DNA methylation-balancing epinutrients such as kaempferol, proanthocyanidin, and quercetin.
- And dates are a great source of not only energy, fat, and fiber, but also have a role in disease prevention through their anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It is the high flavonoid content in dates that helps support epigenetics due to the anti-mutagenic and anti-carcinogenic factors.
When I first made this drink, to my surprise, I was blown away! It was a thick, creamy, clean latte that had me wanting to go back for more and I hope you’ll enjoy it too.
|Creamy Epinutreint-rich Coffee|
- 10-12 oz hot coffee
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1-2 pitted dates as per your sweetness preference
- 1 scoop collagen powder
- 1 tbsp. raw hemp seeds optional
- 1 dash pure vanilla extract
- 2 dashes ceylon cinnamon
- 1 pinch fine grain sea salt
- Brew hot coffee.
- Meanwhile, pour almond milk, almonds, dates, collagen powder, and vanilla into a blender.
- Once coffee is ready, pour directly into the blender with other ingredients. Add salt and cinnamon, and then blend* for about 1-2 minutes until desired consistency. *Caution: Hot liquids can steam and expand while being blended, which can cause the lid to fly off, creating an injury and burn hazard. To avoid this, ensure the food or liquid is not too hot and blend in batches, filling the blender halfway.
- Strain or pour directly into a mug and top with cinnamon. Enjoy!
- Warm the almond milk, dates, and almonds in the microwave in advance to help with blending and creating a finer finish.
- Swap almonds & almond milk for your favorite nuts or seeds.