Getting kids to eat clean, nourishing foods is not always an easy task. If you are looking to add veggies, healthy fats, antioxidants, and probiotics to your kids’ diet, this recipe is a great template for a nutritionally balanced healthy meal.
The turkey and veggie bowl is a gluten-free, dairy-free powerhouse packed with macro and micronutrients needed for healthy growth and development in children and adolescents. It provides nutrients that support optimal metabolic function, detoxification, bone development, and a balanced gut microbiome and immune system. The many vitamins and minerals found in this recipe also boost the body’s antioxidant capacity, and the healthy fats are excellent for brain and cellular function.
And that’s not all! Most of this recipe’s ingredients are methylation-balancing foods, which means that they support optimal gene expression and many other vital bodily functions, as described in our blog here. But most importantly, it tastes delicious and is a hit with children of all ages!
In case you weren’t convinced, here are all this recipe’s amazing benefits:
- Arugula is a cruciferous vegetable high in vitamin A derivatives (lutein, zeaxanthin, beta-carotene) and vitamin C. It provides nutrients for eye, bone, and immune health.1
- Avocado is a great source of potassium, fiber, Omega 9 fatty acid, and vitamins E, K, and folate. Eating avocados supports a balanced nutrient profile.2
- Cauliflower is a nutrient-dense cruciferous vegetable well known for supporting detoxification and balancing methylation processes in the body.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) is a potent source of Omega 9 fatty acid supporting brain, immune, and cardiovascular function.3
- Grass-Fed Turkey provides a balanced profile of amino acids while also supporting metabolism with B vitamins, zinc, selenium, and phosphorus.2
- Gold Potatoes offer B vitamins and minerals to support cellular health.
- Lemon adds vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that maintains cellular health, boosts antioxidant status, and increases iron absorption.
- Pine nuts are a healthy source of Omega 6 fatty acids supporting brain, bone, and metabolic health.2
- Sauerkraut is made from fermented cabbage. Cabbage is highly nutritious, providing detoxification and methylation support. Fermented cabbage (sauerkraut) adds beneficial bacteria contributing to a healthy gut microbiome.
- Zucchini contains potassium to support the regulation of cellular processes and vitamin C as a potent antioxidant.2
Contributor – Nutrition Resident Danielle Preissing (MS Human Nutrition, CNS)