By Nutrition resident Jacquelyn Lombardi
Social media: @jacquilombari
Adapted from: Whole Food Cooking Every Day
Beets are rich in beneficial phytonutrients lending to their beautiful pigments. The most studied of these bioactive compounds are called betalains. Beets also contain betaine, a nutrient made from the B-complex vitamin choline, which acts as a methyl donor in the methionine cycle. A diet rich in foods containing betalain and betaine has been correlated with a decrease in blood pressure, cholesterol, and homocysteine – a favorable outcome in optimizing methylation. In addition, betalains are capable of scavenging reactive oxygen species and exhibiting antioxidant effects. As we transition to warmer days, pair this bold, beet salad dressing with your favorite spring vegetable salad or enjoy simply as a dip for roasted veggies such as sweet potatoes, broccoli, fennel, and cauliflower.
How to balance your methylation support program to avoid excessive methylation and optimize long-term health outcomes
Download your free copy of our new, free methylation download.
In this PDF, you will learn how you can optimize your methylation support program using methylation ADAPTOGENS + enjoy a free bonus adaptogen recipe.
|Beet Tahini Sauce|
- 1 small - medium red beet cooked and cooled
- 3 tbsp Tahini
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) can swap with oil of choice
- 1/4 cup Filtered water
- 2 small shallots roughly chopped
- 1/2 lemon or orange juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar (ACV)
- Place beet, tahini, preferred oil, water, shallots, citrus juice of choice, ACV, and salt in the food processor.
- Blend until completely smooth and adjust salt to your taste preference.
- Best if used immediately but can be stored in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Enjoy!
Interested in learning more about optimizing your methylation and biological aging? Click here to preorder your copy of Dr. Fitzgerald’s upcoming book, Younger You, The Scientifically-Proven Program for Lowering Biological Age and Living Longer, Better.